Hourglass Modernist Eyeshadow Palette | Review

8 comments
If you have been following me on Twitter then you should know by now how long I have been anticipating for the release of the Hourglass Modernist eyeshadow palettes. I first came across them while browsing through Sephora's online website looking for new beauty goodies I could pick up on my trip to Los Angeles this winter. In some ways I wish I had never seen them because I knew immediately I had to have at least one and that my bank account wouldn't be thanking me for it. 

It just so happens that I loved these palettes so much that I was the first person in Brisbane to purchase one from Mecca Maxima the day before the release date. Am I a dedicated beauty lover or what? The very helpful staff member was shocked to find out I even knew they existed as there had been limited advertising of the product in Australia. 

Now lets get to the palettes. I was shown all six colour palettes in the shades: Atmosphere ( cool neutrals), Colour Field (Olives), Exposure (Plums), Infinity (warm neutrals), Monochrome (Roses) and Obscura (Earth tones) all of which were beautiful. I found it very difficult to choose between Infinity, Monochrome and Obscura as all were gorgeous shades of browns and rose golds. Eventually, I decided on Obscura but promised myself that i'd go back for the others (as if i needed to). 


This eyeshadow has five finely-milled shades including one highlighting shade in a soft cream with a slight satin-matte finish. I love using this all over my lid as a base however it is slightly too powdery like the other 4 shades so it takes a little more product to stick and stay on the lid.  The palette also includes a soft chocolate brown, warm brown with a metallic and super sparkly finish as well as a dark matte brown and copper bronze also with a metallic finish. My favourite shade would definitely have to be the third which looks beautiful either all over the lid or as a crease shade.


All shades are super creamy when swatched but when applying onto the lid are quite dry so they do take quite a bit of effort to blend and get great colour pay off which disappointed me a bit for the price. However, when applied properly you can create very gorgeous shadow looks with more time. The range of matte, metallic and satin finishes provides a number of neutral to smokey looks and the massive mirror makes it super handy to apply on the go or to touch up. 



Overall, I do love this eyeshadow palette the uniqueness of the eyeshadow pans I find so incredible and innovative and it is for that reason that I wanted one so badly. However, I do not think that the price which I believe to be around $75-76 AUD is worth it. While the shadows are gorgeous the texture has been really disappointing as I was expecting super high quality for a product worth so much. If you are willing to fork out so much on an eyeshadow palette and not feel so guilty afterwards then this palette is for you as you can achieve a number of gorgeous looks, it just may take you a little while.

Have you tried any other palettes from the Hourglass Modernist Eyeshadow range? Let me know.

Katie
You can also find me on Instagram and Twitter.

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

8 comments:

  1. I think they are so overpriced! That's why I did not get myself to buy this product. I would have, if it was half the price, maybe. The design looks so lovely though. Thanks for telling us about the quality. I like your honesty. ;)

    Love, Charline
    Charline Has a Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looked so beautiful! I think i would go for this colour palette too, such a let down that they are a bit powdery!
    Bea
    www.thebeacollective.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous colors!!! love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunning palette, these are definetly me kinda shades!!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you like this palette? I wrote a post about it too. I think it's something everyone should skip because although it's gorgeous, there's a ton of other palettes out there that will be better for the money!

    xx, Ada

    ReplyDelete
  6. These do look beautiful, but I'm glad someone was honest about them and said they're not worth the price! I really liked the look of the green/khaki one but I don't think I could spend that kind of money on eyeshadow! xxxx

    Karan//studentbeautyhack

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen a palatte that look liked that before! Looks so pretty!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY pipdig